Focusing noise recorded in video with 24-85VR?

Started Feb 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,961Gear list
Like?
Re: Focusing noise recorded in video with 24-85VR?
In reply to Duncan C, Feb 4, 2013

Duncan C wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

Folks,

If you want good sound you need an external microphone and ideally NOT mounted to the camera. This is the ONLY way to get pro sound results whether you're shooting with a D600 or Arri 35mm or a Eumig Super 8!

Robert

Agreed. However, I have an older Canon DV camcorder which I sometimes use to record family events. (Not pro quality by any means.) With that camera you don't hear any mechanical noises at all (zoom, focus, whirring of the built-in mini VCR, etc.) I guess a camcorder is highly optimized for silent operation, and a DSLR is not optimized for silent operation at all. Still, the difference is dramatic.

The frequency range of most DV recorders is quite poor, but with a good sound system any sounds audible to you will be picked up by a microphone of reasonable quality. Also: have a look at how the mic is installed on the DV camera compared to a DSLR.

If you want seriously good sound with a DSLR you need to invest in a good microphone, boom, cable and an outboard mixer.

The same goes with a professional camcorder.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow