Olympus Statement About Fourthirds and Micro Fourthirds

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
John King
Forum ProPosts: 12,797Gear list
Like?
C-AF question follows:
In reply to Great Bustard, Feb 4, 2013

Great Bustard wrote:

If an E7 were released that were nothing more than the EM5 sensor and IBIS in the E5 body, would it be a profitable product?

My answer: Yes, yes it would. Would it sell even better with improved C-AF? Absolutely, and I see no reason that improved C-AF could not be thrown in as well -- it's not like they haven't had time to improve on that (albeit they may have put no effort in that direction, concentrating on mFT instead).

Is there something wrong with Don's C-AF here?
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50786340

Can't say I noticed anything wrong, and he wasn't even using his E-30's predictive AF, which is only on when the camera is set to "all points" AF mode ... (see pages 54-55 of the English manual).

BTW, from my own reading of Terada's statement, only the most tortured and tortuous interpretation could lead one to the conclusions that some have stated in this thread, and the other one on the same subject.

His statement also appears to be consistent with the official Olympus statements from the Japanese management, and confirms that Olympus plan to continue development of all three levels of bodies.

Like almost all of us, they have been constrained by not having the monetary resources to do so in the recent past; and we have also now realised what grossly fraudulent behaviour led to that parlous state of affairs. Thankfully that has now been discovered, and the Pens and OM-D are are successful product for the company. The new agreement with Sony as a source of new sensors is also to the good. Other major players in the photography industry are also signing up with support for both µFT and 4/3rds. This is also for the good.

I am not, and have never suggested that Olympus is going to take over the photographic world the way they have with the medical imaging and operating equipment fields. Their micro camera that transmits images to an external receiver on its passage through the gut is just wonderful technology, sparing many from very expensive and invasive surgical procedures.

With my own regular visits for such inspections, I appreciate the advances in operating endoscopes and such like.

In the final analysis, competition in an industry is good for all manufacturers, and specially good for all consumers of their products. I wish them well.

AND, yes, I would love to see an updated sensor in my E-30. Anything else would be cream on the cake, as the camera is already a superb instrument in almost every other way, for my purposes. While I rarely use C-AF, Don has shown conclusively that it works well, even when not used in predictive AF mode. I really must give that latter a fly to see how well it works.

-- hide signature --

Regards, john from Melbourne, Australia.
(see profile for current gear)
Please do not embed images from my web site without prior permission
I consider this to be a breach of my copyright.
-- -- --
The Camera doth not make the Man (nor Woman) ...
Perhaps being kind to cats, dogs & children does ...
I am a Photography Aficionado ... and ...
"I don't have any problems with John. He is a crotchety old Aussie. He will smack you if you behave like a {deleted}. Goes with the territory." boggis the cat
Gallery: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Bird Control Officers on active service.

John King's gear list:John King's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
skeys MOD
404New
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
mpeman MOD
mpeman MOD
mpeman MOD
mpeman MOD
mpeman MOD
mpeman MOD
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow