Poll: Is intelligent/ programmable Auto ISO an important feature for future FW updates?

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
NumberOne
Senior MemberPosts: 1,450Gear list
Like?
Re: NO I can live with it
In reply to BurpeesAreHard, Feb 4, 2013

BurpeesAreHard wrote:

NumberOne wrote:

mngsmt wrote:

BurpeesAreHard wrote:

mngsmt wrote:

57even wrote:

Personally I would rather have EV comp in manual mode, then if you want to shoot auto ISO you just set shutter speed and aperture and use EV comp to adjust the exposure from the baseline.

Yes, fully agree, thank you very much

I can't comprehend why people keep floating this half baked idea. In the absence of a solution for the light meter problem, this suggestion is useless. Here's the problem:

On page 5 of your X-E1 manual it labels a little scale in your display as number 25 - the Exposure compensation/exposure indicator. That little scale can only perform one of these two functions at a time. It can't do both simultaneously. Do you want to shoot manually (with the exception of ISO) with no assist from your light meter, or do you want to have to live with no visual indicator of the EC dial when you're using the viewfinder? Or what?

I'll try to clear that up for you Burpees:

When you set the shutter speed and the aperture manually and let the camera choose the ISO to adjust the exposure, then you are not using a manual mode but an automated mode.

In this mode the display you are referring to will therefore show the exposure compensation, not the exposure aberration, as the camera already chose what it thinks is the correct exposure.

Now, it's semantics...

To nail the correct exposure you (or the camera) need to set 3 parameters - Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO.

1) In Manual Mode (Without Auto-ISO) you set the 3 parameters; one can perfectly go without "Exposure Compensation", i.e., just compensate with whatever you choose - Aperture or Shutter Speed or ISO. Quite simple, isn't it?

In this mode, the camera switches the Exposure compensation/exposure indiicator scale over to the task of 'exposure indicator'. This indicator integrates the light meter reading with your manual settings and lets you know how over- or under-exposed your exposure might turn out to be. In manual mode this is absolutely essential.

What you are saying is just what I said about 1) Manual Mode - So really can't understand your point / question / concern...

2) In Manual Mode (With Auto-ISO) you set 2, ie, Aperture + Shutter Speed, while the camera picks the (consequent) third, which is ISO. The good thing about this? You don't have to dial it by yourself! Why? Because it's "Faster & More Practical"! Got It? However we have a small problem here... How to go for "Exposure Compensation"? You can't, unless you have EC available, and so it has to be available for |Manual Mode with Auto-ISO|!

If, as you say, EC *must* be available, then the camera has to dedicate the Exposure compensation/exposure indicator scale to the task of indicating the EC dial setting. Now you're trying to take a so-called manual exposure with no light meter (technically, exposure indicator). This is absolutely unacceptable.

Again, I can't understand what you mean... EC must be available for overwriting the camera calculation of ISO for the "right" exposure in |Manual Mode with Auto-ISO|- An example:

a) You entered the values for Aperture and Shutter Speed

b) In consequence the camera calculates the ISO for the "right" exposure (0 compensation)

c) Now... If you want/need to compensate the exposure (over or under expose) the only way to do it is by dialling a compensation value in the EC facility/button; if you dial another Aperture or Shutter Speed the camera will recalculate the "right" ISO (once again) and you're back to stage one once more!

That's why EC must be available for |Manual Mode with Auto-ISO|. It will allow you to overwrite - if needed -  the camera Auto-ISO calculation!

Come on people, is this so hard to understand?!

Come on Camera Manufacturers, is this so hard to implement (or comprehend)?!

...And for all those who either don't understand its usefulness or just don't want to use it - just turn the "Auto-ISO or/and EC thing" off. What's your problem?!

So again, what's so hard to understand about this matter?!

Best regards,
Pedro

It seems simple if you don't think it through.

I downloaded a manual for a Nikon D7000. It looks to me like they have a scale that is full time dedicated to exposure indicator. When an EC value is in force, the zero at the center of the scale blinks. You can hit a button that will momentarily put up a number showing the EC value. (If I'm reading the manual correctly - p. 107). For all I know, Nikon may have a patent on this approach.

You're right though. There's no way Fuji is going to let you thoughtless ones take away my light meter. I need to stop worrying about this.

Nobody is talking about taking away the/your light meter - Quite the opposite, I'm talking about using the light-meter and the camera in all its available power and features, which are there from the beginning!

...And by the way, Nikon implementation of |Manual Mode and Auto-ISO| works almost quite this way; I'm just not sure about the EC for the same mode...

Best regards,
Pedro

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YESNew
yesNew
NoNew
YesNew
YesNew
NONew
NoNew
NoNew
NoNew
Yes!New
NoNew
YesNew
NoNew
YesNew
NoNew
YESNew
YESNew
Yes.New
NONew
YESNew
YESNew
NoNew
YESNew
YesNew
NoNew
YESNew
YESNew
Yes!New
NONew
NONew
YESNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow