ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
candgpics
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
Pentax K-5 ii and K-5 user considering switching to 5d MK III
Feb 4, 2013

Hi:

I am a Pentax k-5 II and k-5 user and have been very happy with the cameras and lenses I have owned.  I have the 31 and 77 Limiteds and DA* lenses (60-250 and 300).

I am considering switching systems and moving to a 5D MK III.

Over the last couple of years I have moved from studio portrait work (though I still do some) to nightclub/bar musician work (high ISO without flash, but often have the musician's ok to use a small off camera flash I hold on a monopod that I trigger with a remote) and some wildlife (captive and non-captive situations).  I also take pictures of our children in poorly lit gymnasiums/gymnastics buildings and auditoriums.  And, I take martial arts and fitness pictures, sometimes in a studio/dojo with a flash at ISO 100, sometimes without flash in lower light environments and high/higher ISO.

The Pentax cameras have very good high ISO and excellent dynamic range if I have to pull shadows (I only shoot RAW and edit with CS5).  I like their compact size and weather resistance.  Price generally is better for Pentax, but prices have increased over the last couple of years--so Pentax is not as value priced as it used to be.

I have been doing this long enough to know the differences between mid range and high(er) end cameras is nuanced, especially when viewed on LCDs/ iPads, phones, but I often print large (in excess of 8x10--sometimes 20x30 or thereabouts).

I have read that the dynamic range of the Pentax/Sony sensors exceeds Canon, but cannot tell if that is just "charts and figures" or the real world for Canon is still excellent.

My sense is that other than dynamic range, everything else on the 5D MK III would be a very big move up for me--as it should at more than twoce the price.

Any thoughts or advice anyone can share regarding what I should consider, any advice, or anyone who has made a similar switch with comments would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Canon EOS 5D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow