What can't the Olympus OM-D Em5 do as well as a DSLR/SLT camera?

Started Feb 3, 2013 | Questions thread
Lee Jay
Forum ProPosts: 45,135Gear list
Like?
Re: You don't actually own one, so how can you answer?
In reply to Mike_PEAT, Feb 4, 2013

Mike_PEAT wrote:

I don't see one listed on your gear list...and it seems you are answering based on what you've heard only, rather than your own experience, or the facts.

I've tried out several of them.

ljfinger wrote:

Such a camera can't do that well on moving subjects because the AF system doesn't track well and because the EVF has lag.

Personally I've done birds using CAF+TR, but BIF takes practice with ANY camera. Also the EVF frame rate can be sped up using a menu setting getting rid of the lag.

No, the lag will be there regardless.  You might be able to reduce it but you can't get rid of it.

It also has poor ergonomics due to the small size so if you shoot for hours at a time, you'll end up in a lot more pain than if you were shooting with a better-fitting camera.

For many decades the majority of SLR cameras on the market used to be similar in size to the E-M5...pros used them for decades without issue.

I had one - and it was most certainly an issue.  The thing that helped was that I'd never shoot more than perhaps 100 shots in a day.  Digital changed that.

Some did add a grip to the camera, and the E-M5 has that option. It's certainly a lot better than the big, bulky, heavy, oversized dSLRs the manufacturers have been forcing us to use, rather than making normal sized cameras like the E-M5.

My 5D is much, much more comfortable to hold than any smaller camera, including the E-M5.

I'm in a lot less pain after a two hour studio shoot with the much lighter E-M5 and grip, than with the monster dSLRs with grips I used to use! Again if you've never tried both in that situation you're only guessing, not stating fact!

I have tried it, and spent several days with cramps.

Third, it has perhaps 1/5th the battery life of a modest dSLR so if you shoot a lot of shots, you'll need a lot of batteries with you.

I did a studio shoot where I got 800 shots in an hour. In that case though I had IS off and wasn't doing a lot of reviewing or walking around with the viewfinder/monitor on.

Oooo...800.  I'd taken 900 shots in 5 minutes without dropping a bar.  I shot 2,000 shots on a charge with my Rebel in horrid conditions without dropping a bar.  I know someone that got 13,000 shots on a charge under ideal conditions.

Finally, it's not part of a big, flexible system. There are fewer support accessory options and no possibility to move up in sensor size if you should choose to do that later.

It's more flexible than any other system.

As long as you don't mind manual focal.

As for larger sensors, if you get a 135/35mm Canon or Nikon body you can't move up to a larger sensor size either without getting all new lenses, so that's a moot point.

But you're starting out 4 times as big.  I started with APS-c, and moved up to full-frame when the option became available.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay
(see profile for equipment)

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 550D +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow