SLT or DSLR?

Started Feb 3, 2013 | Questions thread
NowHearThis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,178Gear list
Like?
Re: SLT or DSLR?
In reply to mgd43, Feb 3, 2013

mgd43 wrote:

My main objection to EVF's is that they are not as good as OVF's at following moving subjects. EVF's tend to "smear" the image. That said, I believe that someday as EVF's improve EVF's will largely replace OVF's because of EVF's advantages mentioned by others. I just think that that day has not yet come, at least for me.

I'm already there, after having a DSLR with a horrid metering system having a good EVF (NEX 7) makes it so I don't have to worry about exposures anymore, which is far more important than anything else to me.  I can also change settings on the fly and see the changes (e.g. white balance, EV, Picture control, etc.) I've shot some soccer games with my NEX7 (not the best choice for action, I know) and I didn't notice the "smear" - admittedly, If I saw it I might not care, since I know the image is going to come out clear, I just need to know the brightness is correct, and my EVF tells me that info perfectly.

For me, another concern regarding Sony is that Sony's system of lenses, flashes, and doodads, including those made by third parties, still trails Nikon and Canon.

Sony doesn't have a 70-200/4... but that's about the only thing that's really lacking.  I'm not going to ever buy F1.2 primes, or tilt-shift lenses, so the other 60+ lenses currently available for Sony are more than enough for me.  Also I much prefer the HVL-F43AM and HVL-F58AM to the Nikon or Canon offerings, the Sony design is just better IMO, and their speedlights are just as consistent as Nikon and Canon (I've shot all three, so I have some experience in this matter)

This may or may not be a problem for you.

-- hide signature --

NHT
while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) );

NowHearThis's gear list:NowHearThis's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow