ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rob_b
Regular MemberPosts: 426Gear list
Like?
70-400G lens
Feb 3, 2013

Hi All,

I've had my 70-400G back to Sony for repair, and it came back a few days ago. Since then, I've been trying various shots, and I am of the opinion that the best images I capture are nothing like the quality I have seen for this lens. This is on an A99. JPEG superfine or RAW

In fact, I am pretty disillusioned all round. One of..

• The lens is congenitally faulty
  • I cannot take decent photos
  • The lens and I are utterly incompatible!

I am failing to see decent feather detail on garden birds at 4metres. Others show pictures that look fabulous much further away. I came back from a vacation at Monterey with almost not pictures I'd be proud of.

I'm wondering of there are any Sony enthusiasts with this lens in the NW UK, who might be interested in meeting up and trying some lens swap./comparisons.

I have no issues with the camera per se - I also have a 24-70CZ and the SAL100M, and both generate wonderful images.

I cannot afford to ignore the SAl70-400G -it was very expensive - but I can't see me bothering to use it at present. I got much better shots from my Sigma 150-500 on my Nikon D90, and I'm hurting a bit.

Anyone in my area. Or, any advice?

(IBIS on handhelp, 800ASA or less, 1/400th or less, super fine JPG)

Sorry to be grumpy, but this is spoiling my relationship with a lovely camera.

I'd appreciate advice, or a plan for a logical evaluation, or an opportunity to meet.

Thanks

Rob

Nikon D90 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
EdNew
Rob:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow