The no lens hood epidemic

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Paul Farace
Contributing MemberPosts: 680Gear list
Like?
Re: The no lens hood epidemic
In reply to Mark B., Feb 3, 2013

Mark -- I also believe that a custom lens hood is best, but for simple lenses... like a 50mm or such a rubber generic is not totally useless... so in the one instance when a rubber hood might be of value, here goes...

When you shoot through glass, my old rubber hood (back in the pre-digital days) was a good way to reduce flare or reflection from the window glass!  Another photog and I were recording artifacts on display and my shots were a bit better simply because I had the rubber hood that was able to contact the glass directly and seal out stray light... also less scratching noise (yuk!) and allowed for angling the lens down a bit for good composition without losing the light seal.

Also, if you consider the value of the hood to be equal as a lens bumper, as I do, the rubber is a bit more absorbent of impacts.  That is until one day when the rubber tears away and your left with a plastic rim with a bit of rubber on it.

-- hide signature --

Holding a camera, any camera, reduces my blood pressure, calms my nerves, and gives me a sense of opportunity!

Paul Farace's gear list:Paul Farace's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Fujifilm X-Pro1 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow