SX50 Mini-Reviews Christmas Special - Did you find your new camera under the tree?

Started Dec 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,739Gear list
Like?
Re: Hey! New pictures from my SX50
In reply to sharksanks, Feb 3, 2013

I'm glad you're more comfortable now taking portraits. And it's probably more fun to do now as well.

Sorry to hear that you had flash problems at the wedding. Although the onboard flash of this camera can do a good job on static subjects from about 2 to 12 feet (as shown in my review), it can be difficult to depend on for varied non-static uses requiring on the fly changes in settings. This is about comparable results to many other P&S cameras that I've seen as well. Although for an important event I would be using my dSLRs, if I had only a P&S like the SX50 available I would switch to a separate flash. I've tested and like the results so far with my Canon 430 because of its versatility within a reasonable size.

Also sorry to hear about the professionalism of the photographers that were hired. There is a time for the photographer(s) to take gentle charge of an event and that is for the formal portraits. ONLY. At all other times, the photographer(s) should be invisible to the participants. Staging shots or annoying participants will many times show up badly in the final product as well. Hopefully not in this case for your event. The best photographer should get this reaction from the bride and groom: "Wow, that shot is wonderful. We didn't even know you took it."

As to your question about bokeh, I wouldn't expect too much from this pin head sensor and "tiny" lens. There is too much going on to correct for inherent diffraction at this level let alone pick up any natural circular diffusion coming off the tiny blades.

And I find macro to be an entire art in itself with this camera. One that doesn't require switching to the "Macro" setting. Maybe I should more often to gather more possibilities for technique, but I like stepping back and using the zoom and close focus distance. Although fine macros can be taken handheld either way, experience in taking macros with many cameras for many years does tell me though that the best ones usually require a tripod (and sometimes rails). Remember, magnification of the image on the sensor also means magnification of any deficiencies like camera shake as well.

By the way, that Indian henna design is a fabulous art and looks like an entire story in itself. Thanks for posting those images.

Vision

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow