trulandphoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 537Gear list
Like?
Re: Kenko/Canon 1.4x question?
In reply to TTMartin, Feb 3, 2013

TTMartin wrote:

GeoffE wrote:

Hi,

I've searched the postings and found some good information on this. Recapping, it appears the two are very close in IQ, canon slightly better at the edges. If anyone feels differently, please comment?

You spent over $2000 on your Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, why would you use anything, but, the best with it?

I'll be using the 1.4x primarily with 70-200 f2.8 mkII and 400 f5.6L. Understand the Kenko will still AF on the 400 and Canon can if I tape the 3 pins. Albeit on the 400 AF will be slower and may not be suited for BIF but "I think" OK with stationary subjects and also needs light; thoughts?

If you are focusing on stationary objects, just use live view and manual focus.This may be a dumb question but if I don't need to tape the Kenko to achieve the same results as the Canon and IQ is similar why should I spend the extra $$'s for the Canon? Do I need to remove the tape when on the 70-200?No, you don't need to remove the tape, but, your EXIF data wont reflect the correct information.Thanks,

-G

I'd get the Canon 1.4X II and skip thoughts of taping it.

I've used the 1.4XII with the 400 f/5.6 and agree with everything. Also, live view autofocus will still work. And though slow, it is accurate.

trulandphoto's gear list:trulandphoto's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow