RealPancho
Senior MemberPosts: 1,026Gear list
Like?
Re: Is it time to give up on Olympus?
In reply to Najinsky, Feb 3, 2013

Najinsky wrote:

Moonman52 wrote:

Najinsky wrote:

And that lot in the Fuji forum aren't as tolerant and forgiving of vocal critics as us sweet lot here in M.43 are

It was probably just some people from this forum trying to make that forum look bad too. Seriously though, there is always at least one nut case in every forum no way to escape it. This one certainly seems to have more than its fair share of those as well as the before mentioned fanboys. I been called some pretty harsh names over this thread the last few days by some real wackos but fortunately all those posts were deleted by the moderator before most people could ever read them. As far as I know no one in the Fuji crowd has ever bad mouthed me to my face. Behind my back? Probably.

I obviously made the wrong choice of smiley. They have both over the years been the most fan-blind laden examples of 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing' I have come across, at least in a 'social' networking context.

Ultimate I suspect it's down to the management style of DPR, insisting everyone is civil and censoring insulting posts with grown-up language. Life's not like that. Group dynamics require an environment where the group can 'normalise'

In Tuckman's 1965 model of group dynamics there is Forming->Storming->Normalise->Perform. We seem almost permanently locked in the storming phase, with only very slow progress, and I reckon it's down to the censorship and intolerance of fighting.

I cut my teeth on a social network called CIX, back in the mid 1980s when the internet wasn't a public term and nor was social networking. The term back then was electronic bulletin board system.

What made cix notorious was the ruthlessly aggressive intolerance of dis-information or opinion expressed as facts. These would be picked up and soon escalate into hugely entertaining flamewars as the people with real deep and substantial knowledge would systematically take apart the transgressor, leaving them in a virtual heap on the floor. It was brutal, but not cruel or nasty. Some couldn't take the heat and left, but those who stayed discovered something quite special. We didn't realise it at the time but it had made the place a virtual goldmine of very reliable information that could be robustly and vigorously defended when needed. That served many of it's members careers extremely well in the age where information is power.

As one member put it: "What I've found is a whole new social spectrum. With CIX I have access to an incalculable resource, not only of information but of people."

And we learned we all make mistakes, or sometimes simply thought we knew something which it turned out was wrong. And while the virtual battles were bloody and relentless, they were effective in bringing forth a great many truths about facts and our opinions that flaunt with them. And we began to understand they were not personal, and even started organising meet-ups in bars where the combatants could put aside their differences and enjoy a few drinks together. And there was also an annual barbecue organised by the owners with people attending from all over the UK.

Another member observed: "It has values that I'd love to see more widespread in Real Life -- a belief in the accountability of an individual for their actions, a willingness to be altruistic and a desire to be open minded. Being a member of the CIX community is akin to having a spare brain to explore ideas in. Overall, it thinks!"

Come on DPR help these forum reach their potential, let us fight like rabid dogs until the dis-information society is brought begging to it's knees. Let the virtual greens transform to oozing, glistening PR83. And then lets have a drink or two.

PS: Now is not the time give up on Olympus, this party's only just starting. <- Opinion expressed as fact. I'm shaking in my boots.

-Najinsky

That was one of the most interesting posts I've read in this forum, in the few short months I've been coming here, at least.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Frank

RealPancho's gear list:RealPancho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Olympus E-620 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow