Upgrade question - Nikon 28-70/2.8 to Tamron 24-70/2.8 VC?

Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,480Gear list
Like?
Re: OK. Came to my senses.
In reply to Mac, Feb 3, 2013

Mac wrote:

Sometimes it is better to leave well enough alone. As one responder pointed out, exchanging a Nikon 28-70/2.8 for a TAMRON, what am I thinking about?

Seriously, if you don't have a suitable zoom in this range, the Tamron 24-70/2.8 VC would then be an interesting option worth consideration. But having a good copy of the Nikon, the only upside is the VC and the increased angle of view (which is what interests me the most). Again, not dissing Tamron, but their QC has not been the best. My biggest gripe is the inconsistency of their AF. It is forgiveable when dealing with a sub $500 lens but less so as the price goes up.

I've found the focus of the Tamron 24-70 VC to be spot on.  The VC is of much more use than you'd think.  Hand holding 1/10 is doable.  I do 1/15 all the time...a good two stops faster than is possible without VC.  Mine is very sharp wide open and virtually prime sharp at F4 in the center.

QC, unfortunately, is still an issue, as many of the Tamron's, including mine's aperture was miscalibrated.  I fixed it myself following the instructions HERE.

The other things to consider are speed (the Tamron, while fast, does not focus as fast as the latest Nikon 24-70) and reach (the Tamron is closer to a 22-65mm.)

Daniel Lauring's gear list:Daniel Lauring's gear list
Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow