Terada: New 4/3's body (bodies?) in the pipline for 2013

Started Feb 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Edward Rauschkolb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,032Gear list
Like?
thoughts after using EM-5 and GH3
In reply to sderdiarian, Feb 3, 2013

Hi,

I have not sold most of my 4/3 gear (E1/E-5, 12-60, 50-200, 8, 50, 14-35, 150, 9-18) etc.  I did sell my 7-14, 35-100 and E3 simply b/c I did not use them.

I bought an EM-5 and have been unhappy with handling and available weather "sealed" lenses from Oly.  I now own the Pan 12-35, Oly 60 and unsealed Pan 7-14 and Oly 75.

There are 2 major reasons, I am not satisfied with the EM-5.  First the controls are too small to be used with gloves, etc and the wheels turn too easily so that camera must be turned off to stow in case.  IQ with the 12-35, 60 & 75 is stellar, roughly equal to the 12-60, 50 (but not 14-35, 150) and had no problem with IQ or weather sealing shooting on a trip to Iceland.

The 2nd reason is the EM5's relative inability to reliably focus my better sealed 4/3 lenses (50-200, 14-35, 150, 50) etc. and handling with these lenses even with the horizontal grip is less than stellar.

I owned the GH3 for a while and found the handling quite good with the lenses (feeling somewhat like a mini E5), with a different but excellent, control layout.  It appeared even worse at focusing the native 4/3 lenses than the EM-5 and of course the absence of IBIS, makes it a non-starter for native long 4/3 glass.  IMHO, the IQ was similar but perhaps slightly worse than the EM-5 (again IMHO) and as a non-serious videographer, I saw no advantage to owning both.

As for EVF vs. optical, there are as many advantages to EVF as disadvantages.  Not only can one see in finder. effects of settings, real time histogram, but also see the effects of IBIS, especially important when trying to center and focus long lenses.  Settings are easier to read and in the case of the GH3 menus, etc can be viewed in the EVF.  In some lighting, I actually have an easier time visualizing the scene and the settings.  Please understand here that I am somewhat visually impaired and this may be more true for me.  I have found however that although I absolutely need a viewfinder, a good EVF is more than satisfactory and some cases (especially with IBIS) preferable.  I strongly recommend that EVF naysayers, some time (more than that available even if one is lucky enough to see one at a local camera shop) becoming accustomed to actually using one of the better ones such as found on the EM-5, GH3 etc., , you may be surprised.

In any cased, my point is, that an E-6 or OMD pro, sized about that of the GH3 (which in itself is only about the size and weight of the EM-5 + horizontal grip) with like sized controls. weather sealing (and perhaps some control locks) and the improved sensor/IBIS which COULD actually focus native 4/3 lenses would serve my needs and I suspect many others.

I also suspect such a camera would cause those who have moved to m4/3 from other systems or moved up from P&S, to consider buying native 4/3 lenses for their special needs, re-invigorating this lens market.  Personally I have been considering "investing" in a refurb 90-250 before the prices begin to reverse.

I continue to wait for an Oly pro version OMD or E6 with either an optical or EVF.  I think it is closer to reality now and is extremely likely to occur.  Such a camera would simply add over 15 additional lenses to the micro 4/3 system making both the m4/3 system and native 4/3 glass more attractive.

just my $0.02

Ed

Edward Rauschkolb's gear list:Edward Rauschkolb's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Leica M9-P Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
skeys MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow