State of the industry - from the customers POV

Started Feb 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Vegasluvr
Senior MemberPosts: 2,102Gear list
Like?
Re: State of the industry - from the customers POV
In reply to PenguinPhotoCo, Feb 3, 2013

Photography is a luxury item. In a wedding, the ambiance and food is the most important thing. People remember food and location but think about it, what do the photographs serve? Only the bride and groom and perhaps their family.

This is why I do not bother with brides and grooms seeking discounts or rate cuts. I do not curt my rates then I would be discounting my experience and skills. My experience and skills are not sold at discounts.

Commercially, many of my clients are making money off the images so they should be factoring in the cost of photography into their budgets. We recently did a motorcycle shoot for two days and billed the client (a major motorcycle manufacturer) a six-digit figure. But in return, this manufacturer is going to make at least $120-$200 million in sales during this particular campaign.

My plumber never discounts his work. Nor does my air conditioning/heating technician. They told me if they do, then they cannot remain in business. You can use the cheapy plumber or air conditioning/heating technician and see how well the job lasts. Just like it is with these experts, finding a great photographer is getting harder and harder to find.

Vegasluvr's gear list:Vegasluvr's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow