Any reason to go FD S.S.C instead of FDn?

Started Feb 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jun2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,208Gear list
Like?
Re: Any reason to go FD S.S.C instead of FDn?
In reply to captura, Feb 3, 2013

captura wrote:

Jun2 wrote:

captura wrote:

Jun2 wrote:

Lightshow wrote:

Jun2 wrote:

I had problem with nfd 28mm to M4/3. The image look quite sharp in the GH2 viewfinder (magnified). But images were blurry. Could be caused by shutter shock (may be my adaptor was not tight enough for the combo). The comb seems to be affected by the shock. But it was fine with 24mm nFD. SSC lenses are metal and heavier, May absorb shocks better ( could be my speculation). I sold both FD lens. I find M42 lens/adaptor combo are very stable with screw mount. Now I have Vivitar 28mm f2.5 adapt to both GH2 and Nex 5N. Very sharp. But Vivitar 28mm f2.5 is metal, heavier.

I keep hearing the 28's are not as sharp, I don't have one so I don't really know.

The reason I suspect it's from shutter shot is that I could get sharp images from any f stop including f/4-f/8, that's just not normal. And I could see sharp image in the viewfinder when not taking pictures.

Inherent design compromises ensure that 'fast 50's ' always have the edge over 28's, etc. So 50's became the benchmark for comparison. But if you are a NEXer, the kit 18-55 set at 28mm has the edge on center sharpness over practically any prime 28, especially at f8. That plus having OSS and other auto functions.

I have a nice Komine-Vivitar 28-2.8 manual lens and this is one of the better ones.

I have Vivitar 28mm 2.5. Don't know who made it. Sharp wide open at least for my copy, very impressed, except distance scale not accurate when adapted to M4/3 and NEX. I shoot mostly low light. I know it's sharp at f8, haven't compare the kit lens.

Jun, if your Vivitar 28mm 2.5 has a serial number beginning 28xxxxx then that is Komine, arguably the best of all the smaller legacy lens makers. I believe if its 24xxxx that would be a Kiron which sadly used an inferior lubricant, often resulting in sticking shutter blades. But if memory serves me, you have a Komine.

Thanks for the info. Mine has serial number 22XXXXXX.  I just searched the web, 22XXXXXX is made by Kiron (based on somebody).

Jun2's gear list:Jun2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow