Who here came from Nikon to 5D, 6D and are happy or not?

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
TOF guy
Forum ProPosts: 10,715Gear list
Like?
Re: Who here came from Nikon to 5D, 6D and are happy or not?
In reply to rrccad, Feb 3, 2013

rrccad wrote:

TOF guy wrote:

This filter blocks all UV and IR from reaching the sensor and gives me sharper pictures (even compared to no filter), better color saturation, better blacks and cleaner whites.

These filters have no more use on recent dSLRs. Manufacturers put IR / UV filters in front of the sensors which are very effective.

that's actually not exactly true. the IR/UV cut filters have a gentler rolloff than the ones that sit in front of the lens.

As long as the unwanted light is prevented to reach the sensor I don't see the point of it.

also near IR light will reflect off elements leading to hot spots, and lowering of contrast just by near IR light bouncing off of the elements. a IR/UV filter in front blocks that from occurring.

I've seen no evidence of any of this with a recent dSLR. My B+W486 has not seen any use for years because it's useless.  So I'm highly sceptical of the effect you describe. Just like the supposed "better color saturation, better blacks and cleaner whites": way over exagerated if any effect at all.

I'd love to see the images if you have pictures comparing filter in / filter out images of the same scenery and displaying any difference. As I've said it doesn't with a B+W486.

-- hide signature --

Thierry -

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Why?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow