RX1: stupid question about aperture ring

Started Feb 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Docno
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,045Gear list
Like?
Re: RX1: stupid question about aperture ring
In reply to tesilab, Feb 3, 2013

tesilab wrote:

There is an historical reason: The aperture is part of the lens. The coupling used to be purely mechanical. Early lenses would simply screw into place, with no coupling mechanical or electronic to the camera.

Now it is done mostly for the sake of nostalgia, unless a lens is made for a system that has no other way to manually set the aperture value.

It also isn't a bad system, with one dial controlled by the left the left hand, the shutter speed dial controlled by the right, and your left hand needs to be cradling the lens anyway, for balance or focus or both.

Thanks for your response. My problems are these:

1. While I normally cradle the lens in my left hand with my DSLRs, this lens is pretty short, so cradling is mostly of the camera itself with a few fingers on the barrel.
  2. The way I hold the camera, my left index finger curls under the barrel and thumb is on the left. It's not easy to turn the aperture ring in this position as your whole left hand has to swivel and your finger tips are on the smooth rather than ridged part of the aperture ring.

I really wish aperture adjustment could also be assigned to the rear wheel ... it's basically sitting there doing nothing in aperture priority

Docno's gear list:Docno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow