New E-5, Noise

Started Feb 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Bobby J
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,709Gear list
Like?
Re: New E-5, Noise
In reply to Gary Gentry, Feb 3, 2013

Gary, that certainly isn't normal.  Go into your menu to "Aspect/color/WB.  Then:

Select "Noise Reduction" to Auto.  If you use long exposure times this will automatically

do a "black frame" noise reduction to eliminate noise.  This is all it does and it has no effect on your normal photography...ONLY that which requires long exposures.  Put it on "Auto" and forget about it.

Then navigate down to "Noise Filter".  This is the important one.  Looks to me like yours must be set to "Off".  For most normal work I'd set it at "Standard".  If you are going to shoot over ISO 800, I'd set it at "High".  I think this will likely solve your problems.

Incidentally, the only thing I HATE about my E-5 is the menu system.  IMHO not nearly as good as previous Oly cameras.  I think the menu on my E-30 is vastly superior.  You have to navigate thru endless layers of menu on the E-5, but the E-30 stuff is easily found with just a few clicks.  For instance, it takes 16 clicks to get to "Anti-Shock", which I use frequently.  On the E-30 it takes about 5 clicks.  Otherwise the E-5 is a great camera I think.

Hope this helps.  You shouldn't be seeing all that noise.

-- hide signature --

BJM

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow