D800 left - center - right AF tolerance + green LCD

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,952Gear list
Like?
Re: Direct Comparison with 5DIII = Interesting
In reply to davidfoto, Feb 3, 2013

davidfoto wrote:

I am also curious how accuracy is the focus with Nikon 24-70. (snipped) If I am right with F/2.8 lenses it focuses much better and this is the main reason why only few people complaining about D800 AF system, because most of the D800 users have the trinity (snipped)y the random front/back focusing bothers

As a guide with a perfect autofocus target the D800 in my experience can focus to more accurate than 0.2% of focus distance - this is more accurate than the 0.5% of some earlier Nikon cameras.

I regard this standard as comfortably good enough for an A3 print from 12 mp.

If you want to make an A1 print from 36 megapixels at f1.4 it can be wise to heed Nikons guidance that sometimes live view can be the more accurate focus option.

Autofocus accuracy diminishes with less than ideal targets.

An issue is that the single point autofocus detection areas can be much smaller on the D3s, D4 and D800 than on previous Nikons. There can be a bit of a learning curve which I went  when I got the D3s. Going back in history I had similar learning curves when I got the F6, then went from the D200 to the D300, and from the D3 to the D3s.

For those switching from DX to FX there is also a bit of a learning curve as the autofocus points are smaller in the viewfinder on FX.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Many problems turn out to be a lack of intimate knowledge of complex modern camera equipment.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow