Please share photgraphy tip(s) you've used

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
dzba
Contributing MemberPosts: 635Gear list
Like?
Re: very sound advice, James
In reply to James Cafferty, Feb 3, 2013

James Cafferty wrote:

- When taking a group photo of young and old family members - ALWAYS take 2 or 3 shots. Have the people change places to provide some choices. (Unfortunately, many of the older people won't be alive when it is time for the next annual family celebration/wedding.)

As we age lots of things change.  As a kid my mom's side of the family would gather every summer for picnics at the park.  Dozens of cousins and aunts and uncles.  Took that for granted.  Lots of those people aren't around any more.  The ones left have scattered.  I have a brother visiting this summer from Australia with nephews and a niece I haven't met.  Thanks for this reminder.  My memory fades faster than the photographs.      Since most of us have crossed over from film to digital, there's no excuse.  Take several.

- Take several pictures of older relatives, i.e., pictures of individuals and couples. These will be treasured in years to come and family members will appreciate them - and you.

I know this applies to me.  One thing my father did that has left a legacy for the future generations.  They are B&W, from a 110 film camera I think, but I do treasure them.  Gives an insight into the then current conditions. 

- Be sure to check each important picture on you LCD screen for stray light reflections, flash reflecting off a mirror, people with eyes closed, mouth open, etc.

This tip also is applicable for wildlife, too.  Notice the ram on the left.  A clown in every group.  Yes, their tongues are a grey/black in color.   I took this when there was a pause in the head butting during their rut.  The one on the right appeared to suffer from a hangover, if I didn't know better. 

Kids seem to delight in clowning around and some candid behavior is natural and desirable, I strive to get some without the goofing around, too.

- If you see an item or subject that is worthy of a shot, take it then and there. Make a U-Turn if you have to - otherwise it may be gone when you go back later / tomorrow.

That has happened far too many times for me and I agree, take it now.

- If you plan to shoot a once-in-a-lifetime gathering - take more batteries (and extra SD cards) than you expect you'll need. You won't regret it.

In the long run, these are cheap insurance.  No more running out of film, or being concerned the film is out of date and no longer good.

- If you become the "family photographer" consider buying an external flash for your camera, especially one with the ability to bounce light off a ceiling

And, practice with it before you attempt to capture those lifetime, one of a kind  images that relatives will appreciate in the future.

-- hide signature --

All the best,
Jim
Photographers take pictures; the camera is only a tool.

All sound, valid points that many of us here should practice and utilize.  My thanks for these tips from you , Mike

dzba's gear list:dzba's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Canon EOS 650D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
imqqmi MOD
imqqmi MOD
imqqmi MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow