Metabones Speed Booster - Vignetting with Tele-Lenses

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
khaw
Regular MemberPosts: 399
Like?
Re: K-H: it does look really excellent
In reply to jpr2, Feb 3, 2013

jpr2 wrote:

Karl-Heinz, the vignetting is not a problem at all here. Does it seem to be more troublesome in shots targeted at much more distant subjects?

I'm a bit puzzled by your Telyts collection: so you do have two heads: 135 & 180 millimeters, and then you can swap various extenders? Or each 135 & 180 require their own dedicated extender units?

thanks for sharing,

jpr2

Hi Quercy,

From my limited experience I have to conclude that vignetting is more troublesome the longer the lenses are and the wider the aperture used. Stopping down the lens really makes a big difference and helps. In post processing one can counteract vignetting, but the damage done to image quality in the extreme corners seems unavoidable. Unless one is specializing in pixel peeking in extreme corners I think the advantages of the Metabones L/R - E mount Speed Booster outweigh its drawbacks. For me the device is a brilliant creation and a useful addition to the photographers tool box.

Now to your Telyt question. That's indeed a more confusion issue as Leica simply uses the term telyt for tele lenses, regardless of the kind of lens under consideration.

AFAIK, Leica has made in the past and is still making today some of these different kinds of lenses. They are

1 • LTM (for Leica Thread Mount),

2 • M bayonet,

3 • V(isoflex),

4 • R(eflex),

5 • C(ompact),

6 • D series (Leica 4/3) and

7 • S lenses.

I have only lenses of the first 4 types. So let's confine our discussion to those.

To make matters a little bit more complicated, there are two kinds of M lenses.

First there are the modern kind, with a firmly attached lens head.

Then there are some older ones where the lens head can be removed and used in a different, shorter kind of lens focus mount. Why? Well, until about 40 years ago Leica - back then called Leitz - also made a mirror box - called Visoflex I, II, or III - that turned a rangefinder camera into an SLR. It is the middle piece in this image. To the right is an Elmar 65/3.5 lens that was only available as a V lens with short focus mount, so couldn't be used on a regular M camera with M bayonet lens mount as that longer mount was never sold by Leitz. To the left of the Visoflex III is first an M - E adapter and then a NEX-5N with EVF.

So, the older M lenses with detachable lens heads were of 90, 125(?), and 135 mm focal lengths.

To use such a lens head on the Visoflex required a 41mm shorter focus mount to make up for the width of the Visoflex.

In summary, I have used so far in this thread 5 different lenses, namely:

1 • Leica APO-Telyt-R 1:4/280, performance-wise second to none

2 • Leica APO-Telyt-R 1:3.4/180

3 • Leitz Elmarit 1:2.8/90 lens head + short focus mount, different from the one in image above

4 • Leitz Tele-Elmar 1:4/135 lens head + short focus mount, different from the one in image above

5 • Leitz Telyt-V 1:5.6/560

In the above list the first two are regular R lenses.

The last three are effectively V lenses.

However, there is a special adapter ring that turns these V lenses into R lenses and therefore one can use them on an R-E adapter or an R-E Speed Booster. This special adapter ring is identified by its sales catalogue number which is 14127 and can be seen to the left of the pistol grip - called Televit. To the right is the Leitz Telyt-V 1:5.6/560 lens.

To the left of the 14127 are three APO-Extenders-R, an adapter from R - E, and finally the NEX-5N.

With a tool like this of several meter focal length, one can shoot a 20 mile distant ski area at dawn and get this image.

or one could use a Telyt-V 1:5.6/400, some extension rings, Visoflex, and a Leica M9

and take a picture of some bees like this

or this.

One could also use a Telyt-V 1:6.8/560, combine with a Bellows II and NEX-7

and take a picture of a hummingbird.

Or one could simply take the Leitz Telyt-V 1:5.6/560 without extenders and take a picture of a forest fire from a safe distance.

I hope this has been helpful although a bit of topic.

With best regards, Karl-Heinz

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow