REALLY wanna jump into Sigma, but what about a decent RAW workflow?

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 18,345Gear list
Like?
Re: I agree
In reply to Chato, Feb 3, 2013

Chato wrote:

I started off saving images as 16 bit TIF, and then did some comparisons. If you properly adjust the image in SPP, there is simply no reason to use 16 bit. For the life of me, I couldn't find any advantage.

If you don't need to do any further editing, there is no advantage to using 16-bit TIFF files unless the printer you are using does 16-bit prints.  Not sure if many commercial printers do.  Most printers still take 8-bit files.  So if you are just editing in SPP outputting to any 8-bit file should be fine for pretty much any use.

It's only if you plan to make significant changes after saving the TIFF that there's a benefit.  Both Aperture and Lightroom treat images as 16-bit internally, so it's nice to give those applications an incoming file that captures the full range of values.

The only danger of doing much editing on 8-bit files is that with large tonal changes you can potentially introduce banding, where the original values did not have much separation.  That's something the 16-bit files preserve and 8-bit files truncate.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow