Started Feb 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ormdig
Contributing MemberPosts: 630Gear list
Like?
Actual capacity of CF card?
Feb 3, 2013

I have a 32Gb Sandisk 600x and a 32Gb Promaster 1000x CF card that I use in my D800 for raw files along some Sandisk Extreme pro 95Mb sec SD cards for jpeg. I shoot local basketball on weekends and the last two weekends filled up my cards right at the end of the game. The Sandisk, last weekend, held 386 files averaging 47Mbs apiece (I shoot lossless compressed) which comes out to 18.1 Gbs. Today the Promaster (which works flawlessly, by the way) filled up with 353 files, again averaging 47 Mbs apiece, which comes to 16.6 Gbs. Half of the stated capacity.

The SD card I used was both times was a Sandisk 8Gb Extreme Pro 95Mb sec card. It held files averaging 22Mbs, x353=7.76Gb today, which is probably full.

When the camera showed the cards were full, I pulled the SD card thinking (at that time I didn't know the file sizes) that if it was the only one full, I might be able to still fill up the CF card. When I did that the camera showed one more image left on the CF card. I shot it and the camera said it was then full. When I got home I downloaded the cards on my card reader with Nikon Transfer (I have used this for years to download my files to the HDD I am using at the time for my catalog) which shows each files size.

I always format my cards in camera, use CF for raw and SD for jpeg fine. If only one card showed full at half capacity I would write it off to a bad card or weird formatting that leaves only half of the card available for storage but two different cards from two different companies (I have no idea who manufactures Promaster) leaves me puzzled. Do the files contain information that doesn't show. After I transferred the files I checked the properties for the folder on the HDD and it calculated out the same as Nikon Transfer showed.

Or, if only the SD card was actually full, should I have changed something in the camera menu after I pulled the SD card that would allow the CF card to continue being written to if, in fact, it has any memory capacity left? Thanks in advance, Pete.

ormdig's gear list:ormdig's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow