Olympus Statement About Fourthirds and Micro Fourthirds

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 32,930Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus Statement About Fourthirds and Micro Fourthirds
In reply to GBC, Feb 3, 2013

GBC wrote:

I really hope that the success of the Micro stuff has inspired them to try the 43rds arena again. It really is a strange situation but it is like the micro 43rds stuff is a trojan horse into the market, and the olympus brand is improving and there might be opportunities to turn micro consumers into DSLR consumers.

I guess what you describe is similar to what has been described with iPod and Macs - the so called "product HALO effect."  I would think this to be true if Olympus can show it has an up to date, up to the task 4/3rds system.  The lenses are there other than very few missing pieces and are very good (the missing- that telephoto macro, more primes, in particular small primes).

They would have to bring something special to the table. The lens I would say is a part of that but I think they would have to push small a bit better on the 4/3rds side of things.

Buying an expensive lens I can use on 2 bodies is not a bad thing, especially when it is SHG lens.

I just hope that

'Direction-wise, we'd like to produce products for Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds within this year. Because we have to provide a product for users with SHG and HG lenses. And there are people using E400, 500 and 600-series DSLRs, we have to provide products for them to keep enjoying their photography.'

means they are releasing a camera to use with the SHG lenses with considerable R&D and is an aggressive return to the DSLR market, but I could be delusional with hope.

Well like I said, there are many ways to go about this. It could very well be a micro four thirds hybrid.  As far as say you (or even me), in terms of using the 4/3rd lenses well, either solution should suffice.  Overall system directions/marketing and future development it means different things.

But personally I am of the belief that most people pay way too much attention to whether a system they buy today for their needs is "discontinued" or no longer made- All of these cameras, particularly now that they are digital, will be discontinued. The question is, does that camera that you bought that day that you thought fulfilled your needs stops working fulfilling those needs. The vast majority of the time the answer is no (and by that I mean really the *vast* majority of the time. Like 99%).

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
skeys MOD
404New
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
mpeman MOD
mpeman MOD
mpeman MOD
mpeman MOD
mpeman MOD
mpeman MOD
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow