New Epson r3000 prints darker than old Epson 4000

Started Feb 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,156
Like?
Re: New Epson r3000 prints darker than old Epson 4000
In reply to Carolyn S, Feb 3, 2013

Carolyn S wrote:

Ok....It is a beautiful image. But the one on my monitor is better with brighter color. So does that mean if I calibrate my monitor I will see darker images? I guess that means that is what the image really looks like and my 4000 was printing wrong and I didn't know that. This is most upseting because my images that are printed are all lighter and with prettier blues than the ones done on the 3000. I feel like I have to start all over again creating my images...and I need to spend more money on a calibrator for my monitor so I can see dark images. I am not a happy camper.

Thanks again for your help.

Carolyn

A monitor is backlit so everything will look beautifully bright, colorfull and contrasty. The truth is that look is not Natural.

A print is only viewed by reflected light and will be relatively duller by comparison and sometime a shocking letdown.

Another problem is, if you have been editing all this time likely saving back to the same file after all the edits ( which I do hope you did not do ) then all your previous files will now have been edited taking into account your bright wrongly set monitor.

You would be shocked as to how much darker than the factory standard, the correct luminance setting for you monitor will be.

Take that second print you printed and since you do not have a hardware calibrator, manually turn down the brightness on your monitor while holding the print next to it and try to find a point where the density matches your print the best. You might also have to adjust the contrast. This of course will not be 100% correct but it will get you down to the proper level you should be editing in from now on.

Your 4000 was also printing too light!

When you printed that second print letting PS manage color through the correct ICC profile, and turning off color managment in the printer, you should have endded up with a correct print.

How does your black to white ramp look? Can you detect the steps from the black point as it becomes lighter and lighter?

It that is the case then your R3000 is printing correctly. ALl you need to do now is get your monitor to look more like the print.

This is not the accepted method, but it will work for you until, and if you ever obtain a colorimeter to finally do the calibration the correct way.

Don't feel bad! We ALL have traveled down the same road. Many have accepted the situation and many go into denial.

I own a X-Rite Colormunki Photo and run over 15 printers 13" to 17" and that gadget is the best investment I've ever made. If you are serious about your photography and your prints, you should seriously consider getting one.

The CM Display will only calibrate the monitor which is fine is you will always use OEM inks, OEM papers or 3rd party papers whose providers also can provide you ICC profiles for your printer.

The CM Photo is more expensive of the two will do it all for you. Calibrate and produce Paper Profiles.

I'll leave with this last point. Printing high quality images at home is not a cheap hobby! Not if you aproach it the correct way.

Joe

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow