Sony translucent mirror technology or Sony mirrorless?

Started Feb 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mike Fewster
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,714
Like?
Re: The WA factor and other issues
In reply to Kim Flowers, Feb 3, 2013

Kim Flowers wrote:

Perhaps the smaller sensor size on the Nikon plays a part, too, but I suspect your understanding goes way beyond that. Of the NEX cameras, I was mostly interested in the 6, since it has the extra control dial and the EVF, but wide angle shots are important to me. I did see several landscape shots on flickriver taken with the NEX 5N that were amazing, so I'm surprised to learn that WA can be tricky with them. This fact coupled with the advantage in quick AF with the SLT (oh, and the price point), I think I'm leaning that direction. Thanks a lot for your input!

Very wa is more of an issue with the considerably smaller pixels of the 7 than the 5n. The 6 uses essentially the same sensor as the 5n (except for the focussing additions) so it doesn't have the same extreme wa issues of the 7. If you go searching on  the nex forum you will find plenty of discussion of this and samples. It depends on just how wa you want to go and can be overcome to some degree with post processing. mft users often point to this issue as a reason why mft sensor size is better than APS-C on this style of camera but of course they have dof trade off issues of their own.

If you are mainly doing landscape and especially if you are using wa lenses, focus speed is much less of an issue (there is lots more margin of error because of the increased dof with wa).

If you are not regularly going below about 18mm equivalent ff the wa iissues can be ignored however I'd be looking at the wa performance of any lens I bought as they seem to vary on the Nex.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow