Canon interview: the end of the DX pro line

Started Feb 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kerry Pierce
Forum ProPosts: 17,615Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon interview: the end of the DX pro line
In reply to TOF guy, Feb 3, 2013

TOF guy wrote:

Reasonable, and maybe that's what Nikon believes is the future for D400 wannabees: An FX camera which can be used very effectively at high speed with high resolution in FX (ends up as very good resolution in DX mode).

For folks that want a "one size fits all" camera, that may be the right answer, except that the price for a high performance FX camera is never going to be as cheap as a d400 style camera, nor is it likely to be fully as capable or easy to use.  In that respect, I'm talking about the relatively near future, absent a breakthrough technology or 2.

That's all very different than just buying a high res D400. But may be it's time to get ready for that option (in particular lens strategy) as the D400 may not materialize, or even if it does from the Canon interview it looks like the D400 will be the end of the road.

If they make the d400 as good as it should be, and then continue to make it, maybe that will be all that folks will need.  The sensor technology is already close to the theoretical limit.  If they can get it even closer and give folks the performance that they want, then there'd be no real way to upgrade the camera in any significant way.

The bottom line is we are limited by the current technology. Until that changes, they can't do a whole lot better than what they've already done with the d5100 and d5200 sensors.  I've said it before. I'd be very satisfied with a tweaked d5100 sensor in the d800 body, with all of the great features and performance we've enjoyed with the d300.  Better high ISO performance and DR are really the only things that the d300 lacks, IMO.

Kerry

-- hide signature --

my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
No.New
wellNew
YeahNew
noNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow