Did you see the interview with the Canon Exec.?

Started Feb 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
rrccad
Senior MemberPosts: 3,231Gear list
Like?
Re: Did you see the interview with the Canon Exec.? Yes, some interesting comments.
In reply to MisterPootieCat, Feb 3, 2013

MisterPootieCat wrote:

rrccad wrote:

well that would preclude 20nm from canon. I believe the processes are different, however, don't quote me on that. full frame sensors used to take 4 separate side by side exposures to make up the surface area of one chip.

don't forget the actual chip size for a sensor is far far far larger than a processor.

I'm not sure how all this will pan out, the article I quoted suggested 14nm is going to be extremely difficult to achieve. They suggest the 14nm will probably end up being more like 16nm so maybe Canon is actually gunning for 18nm to be on the safe side?

Sure, the imaging sensor is bigger but it's the electronics that seem to be getting in the way. And with BSI sensors some of the electronics are supposedly sitting right in front of the individual sensels. Someone suggested NR might be possible at the pixel level if the etchings are small enough. I don't know how well that would work in the real world but the idea is intriguing.

i doubt it .. the costs would be prohibitive. if they got down to 180nm i'd be ecstatic - that is what chipworks is thinking they have available to them.

here's the snippit:

So, back to the rumors of Canon allegedly readying a high resolution competitor to the Nikon D800 [3]. Will Canon finally move off that 0.5 µm generation? It is worth noting that September 2012 marked the 10 year anniversary of Canon’s announcement of the world’s first CMOS FF sensor, the EOS 1Ds. While Chipworks didn’t analyze that camera, every Canon FF sensor analyzed since has used the same 0.5 µm design rules. It is a credit to Canon that it has remained competitive by continuing to optimize its pixels fabricated in a relatively mature process.

Canon does have a 0.18 µm generation CIS wafer fab process, featuring a specialized Cu back end of line (BEOL) including light pipes (shown below). It is possible to speculate that Canon may be preparing to refresh its FF CIS line to supply devices for a new FF camera system. Samsung and Panasonic currently use Cu fabs to produce APS-C and micro 4/3 CIS devices. It seems that Canon is destined to do so for APS-C and perhaps ultimately FF. Part III of this series will discuss CMOSIS/STMicroelectronics’ combined effort to produce FF CIS using sub 0.18 µm design rules for the first time.

Aside from the pixel process, there are also design considerations for Canon. Of the Canon DSLRs analyzed, the imaging chip has remained analog, with Analog Devices’ analog front end (AFE) chips handling A/D conversion en route to the Digic-branded ISPs. Perhaps the column-parallel ADCs favored by others can’t be implemented using 0.5 µm design rules, but more likely Canon is satisfied with its system design and performance. In the spirit of speculation, if Canon does migrate to a more advanced node for fabrication, could the transition coincide with a major overhaul of the CIS and system design?

rrccad's gear list:rrccad's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow