Did you see the interview with the Canon Exec.?

Started Feb 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
MisterPootieCat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,045Gear list
Like?
Re: Did you see the interview with the Canon Exec.? Yes, some interesting comments.
In reply to rrccad, Feb 2, 2013

rrccad wrote:

well that would preclude 20nm from canon. I believe the processes are different, however, don't quote me on that. full frame sensors used to take 4 separate side by side exposures to make up the surface area of one chip.

don't forget the actual chip size for a sensor is far far far larger than a processor.

I'm not sure how all this will pan out, the article I quoted suggested 14nm is going to be extremely difficult to achieve. They suggest the 14nm will probably end up being more like 16nm so maybe Canon is actually gunning for 18nm to be on the safe side?

Sure, the imaging sensor is bigger but it's the electronics that seem to be getting in the way. And with BSI sensors some of the electronics are supposedly sitting right in front of the individual sensels. Someone suggested NR might be possible at the pixel level if the etchings are small enough. I don't know how well that would work in the real world but the idea is intriguing.

MisterPootieCat's gear list:MisterPootieCat's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G10 Minolta DiMAGE Z1 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow