Started Feb 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jessm90
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
SX50 - Milkyway (just)
Feb 2, 2013

So i finally managed to get far enough away from the larger cities near me to get a reasonable shot of space (from my garden i see a few main constellations and that's about it among a fuzzy orange glow i call a dark night sky). I dropped an alpha copy of the CDHK on my Canon SX50 and head out. It was actually far cloudier that i realized too (some higher cloud made the photos more orange than I'd expected.

Set the CDHK to force my SX50 to push to 25 seconds at 3200 ISO (seemed roughly right given what I'd read on many of the asto-forums ie - 600 rule for a 24mm focal length) for a nice long wide shot. I took 5, stacked them in Photoshop, cleaned the colors somewhat (a little balancing to reduce the orange glow) and here is the result. Hope you like, i was so pleased to see i could go from near white-out orange glow 20 miles away to something that could almost be the milky-way.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31998715@N07/8439754738/in/photostream/lightbox/

Andromeda is tight to the left hand side (centrally), Cassiopeia nearly dead center & Polaris to the right hand side (centrally), Perseus top left with Draco peaking in bottom left. Hope you like it. with any luck a clearer night and a bit more practice i can really push the little SX50!

Off to bed now, might see if i can clean up a couple more in the morning.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow