Historic negative find!

Started Feb 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
John King
Forum ProPosts: 12,796Gear list
Like?
Re: Vivian Maier - Historic negative find!
In reply to billorg, Feb 2, 2013

Gidday Bill

billorg wrote:

Every time I'd use a Rollei, it always felt like it was gonna tumble out of my hands, absolute necessity to screw in a cable release for it for starters. Oh but how I loved the images!! Bill

I know what you mean ...
I assume you used the cable release to hold onto the camera ...

Mine also has a set of screw in close up lenses that do not seem to significantly reduce IQ.

I very nearly traded mine in on a Bronica 6x4.5 just for the ergonomics (and the interchangeable lenses ... ). The chap who ran the camera shop selling the Bronny said that I wouldn't be as happy with the picture quality that the f/2.8 Planar gave in the Rollei gave me; effectively talking me out of the trade. He always impressed me as an honest bloke.

I had a serious computer crash recently when the power went off on two of the three phases. The one remaining phase "leaked" into the phase we are connected to, and screwed the main invocation of my OS - but only on my main workstation ... All the other computers were fine after a boot-time CHKDSK. It has taken over 3 months to recover from this. Involved booting to my second invocation of the OS (Windows XP Pro) on another internal HDD, then preparing yet another HDD partition to receive a new build of XP Pro. Then carefully recovering all the programs, settings, etc from the dead invocation.

Long story, but explains why I still haven't got either my dedicated 35 mm film scanner working, or my Epson V700.

Vivian Maier certainly showed us all what can be achieved using a camera at waist level!! The VF on the Rollei is certainly a marvel of design. I only really appreciated what a marvel it is about 10 years ago, even though I have had the camera for many decades before that.

-- hide signature --

Regards, john from Melbourne, Australia.
(see profile for current gear)
Please do not embed images from my web site without prior permission
I consider this to be a breach of my copyright.
-- -- --
The Camera doth not make the Man (nor Woman) ...
Perhaps being kind to cats, dogs & children does ...
I am a Photography Aficionado ... and ...
"I don't have any problems with John. He is a crotchety old Aussie. He will smack you if you behave like a {deleted}. Goes with the territory." boggis the cat
Gallery: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Bird Control Officers on active service.

John King's gear list:John King's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow