Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,936Gear list
Like?
Re: Price point is the key to sucess
In reply to alatchin, Feb 2, 2013

alatchin wrote:

Stacey_K wrote:

kuaimen wrote:

$1500 or below for an E-7 is something acceptable. Olympus, wise up! Do not price people into the 35mm FF world.

That is the key. I "added" nikon gear as I gave up waiting on olympus this fall and lusted for something that was more than just incrementally better than the olympus bodies I already own. As the prices of FF gear drops, I personally -would- buy a E7 (E70?) body but I'm not going to pay $1800 for it when a D600 is $2000. I believe they would be smart to price the body attractively and hope to make their profits off the lenses people will buy to use on it.If the only thing they release is close to $2000, I'll likely get out of 4/3 and buy a D600 later this year instead.

Would you agree that it could justify the price on additional functionality / features? Admittedly the E-7 as an E-5 with OMD sensor may be hard to swallow for $1700, but if they can make it a new camera, $1700 would be a fair price for the quality one would be getting.

Depends on what "features" we are talking about. If it has improved VR etc than possibly.

It still will be a hard sell to people who aren't already invested in 4/3 glass.  If it's "art filters" or some other software, then no, those types of features won't warrant a higher price. I would think a camera body would be more like a razor handle, they don't make money off the handle, they make their money off the blades. Clearly they need to make a profit but if they price it too close to a FF camera, it probably won't sell well IMHO.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
skeys MOD
404New
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
mpeman MOD
mpeman MOD
mpeman MOD
mpeman MOD
mpeman MOD
mpeman MOD
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow