New Epson r3000 prints darker than old Epson 4000

Started Feb 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,300
Like?
Re: New Epson r3000 prints darker than old Epson 4000
In reply to Carolyn S, Feb 2, 2013

Carolyn S wrote:

I am quite upset by this and really don't know what to do (except send the 3000 back). I made prints with it and compared them to the same prints done by the 4000 and they are discernibly darker. They are also not even close to my monitor. The 4000 did produce images close to the monitor. I have not calibrated my monitor, but never did so when using my 4000. It has gotten old and does not print (without black marks) so needed replaced. My question is why can't this newer (and I presume better) model print as well as the older. IS it something I am doing?

I have a PC using Window's 7. I have Photoshop managing colors and the paper settings are right. I am using Epson premium Luster paper. The inks are all what came with the printer (and I have only had it a day) Right now if this is the best it can do I can't seem me bothering to keep it....the prints are junk compared to my 4000 and my monitor.

I hope someone can help because I am really upset by this and haven't a clue how to fix it.

Carolyn

Carolyn,

The answer to why prints are darker than the monitor practically 100% of the time is due to the monitor being too bright to begin with. I know you are saying that you were getting prints that were closer to the monitor than you are getting now.  When the monitor is too bright you tend to darken your images so they look normal on your too bright monitor, thus they print dark.

I will venture to say that it was by chance that you were getting a better monitor to print match.

When you say you are letting photoshop manage colors, are you also tuning OFF color management in the R3000 driver?

You cannot have both ON. It's one or the other.

So in photoshop you are choosing the correct ICC profile for the paper you are printing on and choosing either Perceptiual or Relative Colorimetric as the rendering intent, then on the printer driver you choose the matching paper type, size and printing quality and then turn off color management to OFF.

To test your printer irregarless of your monitor's calibration, print one of these, without any adjustments in PS. Just open and print, using the ICC profile and no color management in the driver as indicated above. You should get a great looking print. if the print looks bright in you monitor and normal in the print then you will know.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/downloadable_1/DL_page.html

Joe

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow