Started Feb 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Wally626
Senior MemberPosts: 1,707
Like?
Re: Advice on next lens purchase
In reply to surfnet, Feb 2, 2013

surfnet wrote:

Hello,

(I've done the searches, but have not found specific discussion on this topic. Sorry if I missed it somehow).

I am itching to buy another lens and I've read in this forum about the nice bokeh that one can get from a fast prime. Supposedly, one such prime is the sony 35mm 1.8. I also have the CZ1680 and, the more I use it the more I like it. So, my question is will I be disappointed with the 35mm IQ as compared to my CZ? Any other ones that I should look into?

Additionally, I am also thinking about trying some macro shots and the Tamron 90mm is on the wish list also.

Thanks a ton for all your advice.

If you look on Dyxum.com you can see the ratings for the lenses, The 35mm f/1.8 scores 4.34 overall and 4.72 for sharpness, the Zeiss 16-80mm scores 4.43 overall and 4.67 for sharpness. So from a quality and sharpness standpoint the lenses are pretty equal. If you are looking for getting shallow depth of field shots the the maximum aperture of f/1.8 on the 35mm will provide better images than the ≈f/4 from the 16-80mm zoom.

The question of Bokeh is not the same as low depth of field. Bokeh is a description of the quality of the out of focus regions in a photograph not how much is out of focus. To determine this I would look for example images on the various photosites and you can examine that aspect of the images. Zeiss has a good reputation for Bokeh but I have not examined these two lenses in detail.

If you are looking for a very in-depth paper on depth of field and bokeh look up the Zeiss Blog entry by Nasse

Depth of Field and Bokeh

by

H. H. Nasse

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow