Please share photgraphy tip(s) you've used

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
dzba
Contributing MemberPosts: 633Gear list
Like?
Re: Have an objective..always good to think about
In reply to Midwest, Feb 2, 2013

Midwest wrote:

If you just head out with your camera 'looking for things to take pictures of' you're going to probably come home with a lot of pics of pigeons, seagulls, leaves, squirrels, etc. etc. In other words you're facing an uphill battle to get a really good shot. Go to public events, or interesting old neighborhoods, or something that really interests you that you'd like to share in photos.

All valid and good points you've made.  When I don't feel moved or motivated it usually shows in the results.  What inspires and motivates one, is boring to others.

And truly look at what you're photographing. Is the animal or person facing the other way? I see way too many shots of animals' and people's rear ends. Don't take pictures of backsides.

While out photographing wildlife, I too have noticed this occurring all to often.  Respectfully I will differ with your point about people and their backsides.  Did I get it all over me, just then ? 

Sometimes their backside is the best side to photograph.

Look for interesting subjects, and look at what is in your picture before you press the shutter release.

Don't take photos facing into the sun, shooting a subject which has a shaded side facing you. That is not good lighting for taking photographs. Get an angle that puts good light on the subject for the camera to really get a good shot.

While I agree with your stated objective , sometimes it just isn't possible.  With wildlife you often don't have many options for different angles.  Same for landscapes.  I will take what I can get if the optimum conditions aren't possible.  Some locations I hike to would photograph better if I could get there before sunup or just before sundown in the "golden hours", but that would mean hiking back to the vehicle in the dark, not something I'm fond of, as I age.  I have, and do make exceptions to this when I can.  When going by myself it's easier to get an early start, or leave when you choose.  When in a group, that's most often not possible.

Sometimes my objective is to amuse myself, and enjoy the experience, thanks for your response, Mike

-- hide signature --

You don't TAKE a photo, you MAKE a photo.

dzba's gear list:dzba's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Canon EOS 650D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
imqqmi MOD
imqqmi MOD
imqqmi MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow