Laptop for Photography Advice... Budget $2500-$3000

Started Feb 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
bray
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
Re: Laptop for Photography Advice... Budget $2500-$3000
In reply to image2paint, Feb 2, 2013

The Samsung series 9 with wqhd display doesn't even have a release date yet, but it could be quite nice.

I went with the Asus UX32VD-DH71, with a 1080 IPS display.  It is quite nice with a little work on your part.

The laptop was just shy of $1200.  It has an i7 3517u chip.  I then took out the HDD and put in a Samsung 840 pro 512 as well as an 8gb ram module, to bring the total to 10gb.  I installed CS6 and Lightroom 4 on it and am quite pleased.  It is significantly faster than my 4 year old desktop, they aren't even in the same league.

Also, worth mentioning that I installed Windows 7 on the new ssd as a clean install.  I did not like Windows 8.  You will have  hard time finding a new laptop with Windows 7 now though.  You mentioned that you used to build your own destops, so these simple mods (there are youtube videos to step you through it) and installing the OS should be a problem.  Plus you get a clean install with no bloatware.  Asus has a good website compiling most drivers, the only one I needed to bring over was the wireless driver.

Had a license of Windows 7 laying around from my student days.  Total out of pocket was $1750.  Well worth it I think.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow