PIX 2015

I love Groundhog Day....

Started Feb 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
unknown member
(unknown member)
NO winter here on southern Vancouver Island
In reply to Don_D, Feb 2, 2013

This season...we have not had any winter at all..just an extended Fall.

It's been mild...with only 2 light overnight 'frosts' since early November.

Victoria is becoming a very DRY region....where I live we only get 17" of rain per year, compared to 50" or more in nearby Vancouver and Seattle.

Traditionally it is already is Canada's driest/sunny-ist city....but now even the usual winter WET season (NOV thru FEB) is drying out. This January for example, we only had 1 day of actual RAIN, plus two days of just a light drizzle.

The old thing is.....that a weird temp pattern has stuck with us for almost 3 years now.

The average daytime high temps have been consistently slightly below normal....whilst the overnight ​low temps​ have been significantly ​above ​normal, often by 3-4C or even more sometimes.

So, whilst it hasn't felt any warmer during the days....the climate in general has become a lot milder...coz the overnight temps never fall even close to freezing...hence, the gardens/vegetation is changing.

I notice this on my runs...as in winter I now only need just one layer of gear to stay warm. This wasn't the case 7-8 years ago.

My area is now a sub-Mediterranean climate zone...and at 48N LAT....that is really quite unique. In July/August...we are as DRY/Sunny as places like Northern Greece, Rome, Nice, Barcelona.....altho, not as warm of course.

This house with Palms outside is just a few block from my place

Palms in Victoria BC 

WE now have over 10,000 palm trees growing in this city

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow