Started Feb 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
amalric
Forum ProPosts: 10,815
Like?
"Step-up lenses" - Terada.
Feb 2, 2013

One point of Mr. Terada's interview has been neglected, and yet it is a good insight:

'DSLR-type users are used to beautiful lenses but we also like to offer lenses for the step-up users - lenses like the 45mm. One of the main reasons for buying a DSLR or mirrorless is the good image quality, including shallow depth-of-field. The kit lens is versatile but to give the shallow depth-of-field you need a fast lens. The 45mm is positioned as a 2nd or 3rd lens, as is the body cap lens. We'd like to offer attractive lenses for both DSLR-type users and step-up users.'

'In Japan, the work to encourage people to buy a second lens has been a success. The 45mm lens has sold well world wide, and in Japan, not only DSLR-type of users, but also Step-up users have purchased it.'"

Some of us indeed use step-up lenses with fine results, and don't own more than half a dozen.

We are really the majority, but lens snobs and bullies will make you believe that they have absolute truth in their pockets, by the mean of endless tests, and sample comparisons.

Instead it's step up lenses which sell the most. I still love my 17/2.8. I probably got with it more views than they ever did

Am.

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow