85mm/1.8G for close up portraits?

Started Feb 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bkkm New Member • Posts: 16
85mm/1.8G for close up portraits?

Hi guys,

I have recently bought my first FX camera (a Nikon D600) with a 50mm prime. I am looking into buying a 85mm/1.8g Nikon lens for portrait, but would like to know how much of a close-up/tight head or eye-shot I'd be able to get with such a lens. I used to have a zoom lens on my DX going up to 200mm on the telephoto end, but this time I want to make do without such long focal length.

Would I be able to take close ups such as the one below with a 85mm/1.8G on a D600? Or is the minimum working distance going to get on the way?

Can the 85mm/1.8g achieve close ups like this one on a D600? Or does the limit on working distance get on the way? Could I get even closer without having to resort to cropping?

Also, if I added a close-up lens/filter to the 85mm/1.8g, would I be able to make even more extreme close ups such as the one below? ´╗┐If so, which close-up filter would you recommend to go with the 85mm/1.8g? Is the Raynox 150 too much?

Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow