Started Feb 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
fuzzylogic
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
Color Space "Map" and Real World Affects:
Feb 2, 2013

Please forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong forum. I've been reading up color spaces that past week and I've come to these conclusions. Please tell me if I'm on the right track or wrong track. If I'm on the wrong track, then I need to start over reading. I'm trying to get a grasp of windows color management, profiles, color space, etc...

Viewing Photos Uploaded to Web with NO Conversion (Embedded Color Profile)

Non-Color Managed Browser
Using Wide Gamut Monitor: sRGB Photo = Over Saturation, AdobeRGB Photo = Looks Fine, ProPhoto Photo = Really Dull Colors

Using sRGB Gamut Monitor: sRGB Photo = Looks Right, AdobeRGB Photo = Less Saturation, ProPhoto Photo = Really Dull Colors

Color Managed Browser
Using Wide Gamut Monitor: sRGB Photo = Looks Fine, AdobeRGB Photo = Looks Really Good, ProPhoto Photo = Looks Great

Using sRGB Gamut Monitor: sRGB Photo = Looks Fine, AdobeRGB Photo = Looks Fine, ProPhoto Photo = Looks Fine

Viewing Photos Uploaded to Web with sRGB Conversion

Non-Color Managed Browser
Using Wide Gamut Monitor: sRGBPhoto = Over Saturation, AdobeRGB Photo (Converted to sRGB) = Over Saturation, ProPhoto Photo (Converted to sRGB) = Over Saturation

Using sRGB Gamut Monitor: sRGB Photo = Looks Fine, AdobeRGB Photo (Converted sRGB) = Looks Fine, ProPhoto Photo (Converted sRGB) = Looks Fine

Color Managed Browser
Using Wide Gamut Monitor: sRGB Photo = Looks Fine, AdobeRGB Photo (Converted to sRGB) = Looks Fine, ProPhoto Photo (Converted to sRGB) = Looks Fine

Using sRGB Gamut Monitor: sRGB Photo = Looks Fine, AdobeRGB Photo (Converted to sRGB) = Looks Fine, ProPhoto Photo (Converted to sRGB) = Looks Fine

Judging by my "color map" (assuming it's correct), then really the conclusion would be:

If you're a photographer and uploading images to the web, the make sure you convert your photos to sRGB first.

If you're a consumer who only has an sRGB monitor, then hope that any photos that you view, the photographer converted his images first or the pictures will be dull. Or use a color managed browser to fix the "dull" issue.

If you're a consumer who uses a wide gamut display, then make sure you only use a color managed browser, and everything will be right with the photographic world.

Please let me know if I forgot something, or If my thoughts are on the wrong track.

Thanks!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow