Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Activatedfx
Contributing MemberPosts: 763
Like?
Re: Fuji x100 vs micro four thirds ?
In reply to Marco Cinnirella, Feb 2, 2013

Marco Cinnirella wrote:

Activatedfx wrote:

I have owned and loved quite a few MFT bodies, including the GF1, GH1, GH2, GX1, etc. Right now I am 100% happy with the OM-D and a handful of primes.

Late last year the Fuji X-E1 caught my eye. I had always heard about the "Fuji" look, and I started researching images taken with the X-E1. I liked what I saw, but decided I didn't want another "system" camera. Then I discovered the X100 and was immediately in love with the camera, as well as with the gorgeous images filled with that elusive "Fuji" look. So I bought one on an impulse right around Christmas (black LE).

Long story short, I took the OM-D and my brand new X100 on our annual family ski trip. The X100 was such a joy to use, and the images were so great, I ended up taking it out with me for 5 days and the OM-D for only 1 day of the trip!

Proof in the pudding: I posted images from the trip for friends and family, and nearly everyone reacted more favorably to the X100 images. Comments like "so sharp and detailed", "wonderful colors" and "why do some of the pictures look 'better' than others?"

Now you've thrown the cat among the pigeons!! May I ask what lens(es) you took for the OM-D on that trip?

Hi Marco- The day I took out the OM-D, I was shooting with the Oly 75mm/f1.8 and the Pana 14mm/f2. The 75mm is an incredible lens and the images taken with it were stunning, but somehow the X100 images as a whole were just, I don't know, more pleasing.

The OM-D has been criticized for being almost TOO sharp (especially with the 75) which is something I generally WANT but, while the X100 images are also incredibly sharp (even at f/2) they are somehow more "film-like". And the colors... wow.

In reply to Edmund, the images I have seen from the 17/1.8 have not wowed me... while it is technically very good, there is nothing "special" about the rendering of that lens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow