alatchin
Contributing MemberPosts: 760Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus Statement About Fourthirds and Micro Fourthirds
In reply to illy, Feb 2, 2013

illy wrote:

Rriley wrote:

By R Butler | Published Feb 2, 2013

The long wait for the next generation of cameras for Four Thirds may soon be over, suggests Olympus' Toshi Terada, Manager, Product Planning SLR products. He also discusses the role the OM-D has played in increasing uptake of mirrorless cameras in the USA and the future of compact cameras now that smartphones have become many users' cameras of choice.

CP+ 2013: Interview with Olympus' Toshi Terada
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7898773566/cp-2013-interview-with-olympus-toshi-terada

The future of Four Thirds

Building on the promise Olympus has made about continuing to support Four Thirds users, Terada suggests the wait may nearly be over: 'Direction-wise, we'd like to produce products for Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds within this year. Because we have to provide a product for users with SHG and HG lenses. And there are people using E400, 500 and 600-series DSLRs, we have to provide products for them to keep enjoying their photography.'

'For those users AF speed is important and a suitable finder is necessary. And also it needs to be the right size - the benefit of Micro Four Thirds and Four Thirds is compact size. We have to provide those things to benefit those users. One of the benefits of DSLR is continuous autofocus. In this respect, we have to promise total AF performance in future.'

They can be confident about image quality, he says: ''They already know image quality from the OM-D. Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds sensors are the same size, so they can imagine that.'

eof

reading around this thread, somehow it doesnt seem to be mentioned

-- hide signature --

Riley
any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

it's not really saying much though, "we'd like to produce products for Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds within this year" to myself seems vague, i'd like a helicopter but i don't think i'm going to get one

There will always be the people who will see what they want to see. If you think what he has said is on any level like what your statement was (a pipe dream) then fine. But Olympus has said this for a while, AF for professionals (and now even mentioning E-XXX) will still need to be served by a DSLR.

I think the E-7 may well be a new body, with a lot of new features. If so, there will be a lot of humble pie being served around here, but of course when offered to those who ordered it, it will be flat out refused... and the 100mm macro will be brought up

-- hide signature --

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

-- hide signature --

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams
blog.alatchinphotography(dot)com

alatchin's gear list:alatchin's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
skeys MOD
404New
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
mpeman MOD
mpeman MOD
mpeman MOD
mpeman MOD
mpeman MOD
mpeman MOD
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow