5D MIII - Color space

Started Feb 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ben_Egbert
Forum ProPosts: 20,228Gear list
Like?
Re: 5D MIII - Color space - One more thing in Lightroom...
In reply to kentmcpherson, Feb 2, 2013

kentmcpherson wrote:

Jason Rickerby wrote:

Continued from the previous posting...

Don't forget Lightroom's RAW converter specifically supports camera models. This is how Lightoom knows the colour response curves for a specific model of camera, to map the RAW data into ProRGB. With the right tools, you can create a custom profile for your specific camera.

So for colour management we have:

Camera - Lightroom RAW converter camera profile

Lightroom Internal: ProRGB

Display: Hopefully you have a calibrator to create a custom profile.

Printer: Printer/paper profile from paper manufacturer, or custom made with a spectrometer.

See this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_space

See in the diagram how "2200 Matt Paper" has it's only black line on the chart? See how that line is different than that for sRGB, AdobeRGB, etc? Your camera, monitor and printer/paper will each have their own black lines on this diagram. Lightroom does all the heavy lifting to ensure colours remain consistent between all the devices. If colours aren't consistent - something is calibrated incorrectly, or you've picked the wrong profile for the monitor or printer/paper.

Jason, thanks for the thoughtful reply. Yes I calibrate my Mac monitor with a Spyder 4. I use the Epson paper profiles and my prints look great. So I guess I'm covered.

Monitor brightness is very important in matching prints to screen. It is optional when calibrating so you must choose. Something above 120 is needed for web but something below 100 is best for printing.

I have decided that I take pictures for printing and no longer show my best work on the web. This allows me to optimize my system and my eyes for printing.

-- hide signature --

What I see when I open the image and view it at 100% is very important to my overall attitude toward a final print. When I look at the print I know what’s there and what I had to do to get there. For me, good enough does not work.
http://ben-egbert.smugmug.com/
Ben

Ben_Egbert's gear list:Ben_Egbert's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow