Buy A77 now or wait for A78

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Prognathous
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,653
Like?
Yes, I would wait too
In reply to digititus, Feb 2, 2013

digititus wrote:

I would buy something used (and cheap), possibly even another 5D. I would keep my "powder dry" and wait for the A78. If the A78 addresses the A77 complaints, used prices on the A77 will tank. If you buy it now, you will wish you had waited for the A78, and you will be faced with selling a relatively new A77 at a big loss - or you will just have to keep it.

If the A78 turns out to be nothing more than a refresh of the A77 keeping the reputation for noise, flash issues, and other complaints, then you will have the option of buying the A77 at an even lower price, or you can pay a premium for a not so significant upgrade.

I just don't see much upside to buying an A77 right now. It's a good camera, but not great!

This is what I would do and for pretty much the same reasons. It's obvious the A77 can easily be replaced by a much improved camera and that it's most likely going to happen this year. Until then, a used 5D or 7D would be the least expensive way for the OP to wait through this period without suffering any loss in functionality or user experience.

Prog.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow