Going to India, advice needed... (Holi Festival, Street photography, etc)...

Started Feb 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
malabito
Contributing MemberPosts: 996Gear list
Like?
Going to India, advice needed... (Holi Festival, Street photography, etc)...
Feb 2, 2013

Hi fellow Nikon users, i will be going to India on March for almost 4 weeks to travel and take pictures.

I read already quite some info about the Holi festival and protecting my equipment because of the dust and colors. But any additional info will be highly welcome, specially if you been their before.

I will be travelling alone, so any advice regarding security will be appreciated. I read a lot of good things as bad in the web, so cannot really tell. I am living in Brazil, (originally from Caracas, Venezuela) so I know a thing or two about how to be aware, but its still a PIA to be worrying all the time. Of course common sense will always take you a long way, but they are places which even this doesn't help as much...

I will be taking the D800 with only a 35mm 1.4 lens plus the omd with the 12mm and maybe the new 17.5mm 1.8 lens which i haven't bought yet, (I am opening to buying new equipment, even cameras).

If it wasn't for the festival i would bring only the olympus, but i still don't trust it good enough to take in a festival and shoot people in such condition. So my idea will be to use the Nikon on the festival and for the rest of the trip my OMD, unless i feel confident enough on the street and use as well the Nikon.

I am a bit worry about carrying the D800 because of the weight and calling to much peoples attention. So i thought of maybe getting a D600, smaller and less heavy, and leave the D800 at home and as well take the omd but with the 12mm which i already have.

This is a trip of a life time for me and my first time visiting a country so far way from where i am, so tips and advises will be greatly appreciated.  My trip will be focus mainly on photography I love documentary, street and portrait, (ailukewitsch.wordpress.com).

By the way i havent yet plan the places to go nor travel. So open to suggestions, only have bought the plain ticket to go and return.

Thanks for reading!!!!

-- hide signature --

Nikon 20mm 2.8, nikon 28mm 2.8 manual focus, Nikon 50mm 1.4, nikon 105mm 2.8 VR, nikon 70-200mm 2.8, sb-900, sb-800, SB-600, ...fuji x100, Leica M6
www.ailukewitsch.com
http://ailukewitsch.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/malabito

malabito's gear list:malabito's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +5 more
Nikon D600 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow