RX100 in low light - best to keep at 28/1.8 and crop?

Started Feb 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
rio911
Contributing MemberPosts: 944Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 in low light - best to keep at 28/1.8 and crop?
In reply to Keith Lommel, Feb 2, 2013

Keith Lommel wrote:

As we all know the RX100's fast f/1.8 aperture quickly shrinks once you zoom beyond the 28mm widest setting. When shooting in limited available light, I'm often finding that when trying to compose at the focal length I'd prefer for a given photo, the ISO quickly bumps up to 3200 (which is about as far as I can stomach), while just zooming out a bit to 28mm brings things down to a much more comfortable ISO 800 or even lower. Given that the RX100 has 20mp, I'm wondering whether it might not make more sense (in low-light situations) to get a nice clean shot at the wider angle and then just crop in to get the desired composition. Anybody else coming to this conclusion?

Hi,

I have done both at some point, and still have no preference towards either.  I guess it merits to have both, just take two pictures: one at f1.8 and one at max zoom, then decide in PP.

rio

rio911's gear list:rio911's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow