Started Feb 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Iwanta
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Extemely serious issues affecting Macs
Feb 2, 2013

I am not a Mac user, and after reading this article I wouldn't use one if someone gave me one.

Apple Core Rot

I posted this article purely because I think anyone using a Mac needs to be aware of these issues. FYI I use Win XP, because after 12(?) years of patches and bug fixes, I believe it is the most stable version of windows. I generally use Linux Mint for web browsing because I don't believe any version of windows is safe when connected to the internet.

For those who can't be bothered reading the article this is a summary of the most serious (but not all) the issues.

As of early 2013.

• iTunes — a nightmarish kitchen sink design cluttered with dozens of tabs and modes and animations and clutter, all mixing highly variant purposes Fortunately, Walter Mossberg likes it (but it’s time for him to hang up his jockstrap).
  • iCloud — a organization-destroying bug-ridden unreliable disaster.
  • OS X Finder — damages the system, can’t copy files reliably, can’t do useful things it ought to do at all, hides key files, rife with bugs.
  • iPhoto — arbitrary removal of keyboard shortcuts and similar made a slightly useful program into a useless toy.
  • Aperture — so full of display bugs on dual-display systems as to be unusable.
  • Time Machine — auto-excludes critical data from backup, silently.
  • Disk Utility — under some conditions, destroys arbitrary numbers of volumes, no real upgrade for years, took two minor releases to fix RAID support.
  • File system — continued use of HFS Plus instead of robust ZFS.
  • That’s just for starters, OS X Lion had its share of hairballs , many of which still exist.

I don't have any particular dislike of Macs and am not trolling. Apologies if this has already been posted, as I searched and did not find it. Unable to preview post, so hope links work.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow