The no lens hood epidemic

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Takagi
Forum MemberPosts: 66
Like?
Re: Earth to marike6... a real-world observation!
In reply to rpenmanparker, Feb 2, 2013

rpenmanparker wrote:

Just to reinforce what has been said about the cost of a lens hood, they really do only cost pennies Orow dollars at worst. I specialized in plastics injection molding for many years and can attest to how cheap the molded, peral type must be. But remeber the airline peanuts model: only a few cents per passenger but millions of dollars saved overall. That is the problem. The cost of the hood is not being judged relative to marketing value and fraction of purchase price, but rather to cost savings alone.

Exactly. It is the same with plastic lens mounts. They will cut any corner they can to save a few $. It adds up to big bucks and if the consumer is happy anyway, who cares. If I buy a lens I will decide based on the performance. Whether or not it has a hood included will not change my decision, but I will be disappointed if one is not included. A plastic lens mount is on the other hand a deal breaker for me.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow