Started Feb 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jon Rty
Senior MemberPosts: 3,838
Like?
Re: Laptop for Photography Advice... Budget $2500-$3000
In reply to image2paint, Feb 2, 2013

image2paint wrote:

Hey DP,
Basically I've built my own PC's for the last 15 years and am hesitant to go with an apple macbook pro with retina, due to having to get all the mac software as well as my PC versions. For example CS6 photoshop and Lightroom, Photomatix, oloneo, and all my other photography software... will have to purchase all again !!! ouch

The thing is the screen ! is amazing for photographers... and the weight is like a feather. I use my ASUS PA248Q monitor on a Desktop to edit photos and the big thing for me there is 100% sRGB and love a laptop with 100%sRGB

If you get the 16GB 2.6GHz and 512GB RAM version of the MPB, its perfect for a travelling photographer.

So my Question: "Does anyone know of a windows laptop which can match the MBP with the screen and the light weight ? "

I have found ones like the alienware but they weigh a tonne, or lenovo...

Thanks in advance if you have any advice

-- hide signature --

There are plenty of alternatives that can match the MBP Retina for weight and gamut. Even pixel pitch, but not in resolution.

If you want the most lightweight alternative, that would mean a 13" Ultrabook. You'd lose some processing power as use 2 core against 4 core CPUs, and they lack dedicated GPUs. The loss will not be that big however. Asus makes two great ultrabooks, the UX31 available in either a multitouch or normal IPS 1920x1080 13" screen, or the Transformer book, also with a multitouch IPS screen but with the added benefit of being a transformer, meaning that you can separate the display form the keyboard and use the computer as a tablet, further increasing portability. When docked to the keyboard, you'll get a second battery and a second storage solution. A no-compromise solution would be the Sony SVZ13, a quadcore ultrabook with RAID-0 SSDs.

Next up are the 15" thin and lights. Here you can get laptops that are identical in performance to the MPB Retina, only lacking in screen resolution. Asus has the Zenbook U500, a laptop that's almost identical to the RMP in performance, size and weight. It comes with the same CPU and GPU, and a IPS 1920x1080 screen in either multitouch or not. It does have the advantage of a second HDD, allowing even more storage. The Vizio CN15-A5 is another laptop very similar to the Retina, again with a 1920x1080 IPS screen. The Sony S15 is also a alternative.

Now, there are plenty of others that I've ignored or overlooked, but these are good ones off the top of my head.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow