DO YOU STILL PRINT PICTURES?

Started Feb 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
John King
Forum ProPosts: 12,794Gear list
Like?
Re: Fading colours
In reply to mlewan, Feb 2, 2013

Gidday ML

ALL artwork should be matted, framed (sealed) and glazed and not exposed to light levels greater than about 175 Lux, high humidity or high temperatures, ozone, and other household pollutants. This is irrespective of the medium when using pigment based materials.

Dye based materials are far more sensitive to colour shift and fading (J├╝rgen "The Digital Print" covers all this and far more).

Ideally, all photographs should be kept under Arrhenius dark storage (Google this phrase for many references - e.g. http://www.academia.edu/315639/Colour_changes_in_prints_during_long-term_dark_storage_of_prints) conditions. That is to say, in an acid free album, away from household pollutants.

Basically, pigment based inks will generally perform far better than dye based inks, or a mixture of pigment and dye (some Canon Pro printers). This is also my experience.

I never use after-market inks for printing photographs ...

As for viewing prints, I am currently sorting through about 4~5,000 prints, numbering them with film and frame number, and inserting them into albums. I also have around 9,500 slides to catalogue. An interesting exercise and numbers when one considers just how many frames I have shot since switching to digital (mostly) about 6 years ago ...

-- hide signature --

Regards, john from Melbourne, Australia.
(see profile for current gear)
Please do not embed images from my web site without prior permission
I consider this to be a breach of my copyright.
-- -- --
The Camera doth not make the Man (nor Woman) ...
Perhaps being kind to cats, dogs & children does ...
I am a Photography Aficionado ... and ...
"I don't have any problems with John. He is a crotchety old Aussie. He will smack you if you behave like a {deleted}. Goes with the territory." boggis the cat
Gallery: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Bird Control Officers on active service.

John King's gear list:John King's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
YesNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow